We are currently hiring sales agents to work from our head office in Toronto.
The Lavin Agency
The Lavin Agency is the largest intellectual talent agency in the world. And probably the only one. We represent the world's leading thinkers, doers, writers, artists, and scientists. As a talent agent, you will be the agent for Pulitzer Prize winners, Guggenheim Fellows, TED Prize Winners, Nobel Laureates, people who want to make the world a smarter place. And we think that’s good. Smarter people make better decisions and make the world a better place. Maybe. That’s debatable. And real debate is good. Have you stayed up all night debating politics, music, art, or the economy? A real debate where you agree about a lot, and what you disagree about is interesting? Yes? Then maybe we’re a good fit for you.
We have 35 staff and we’re growing. We’re interesting, engaged, and curious people working globally from downtown Toronto. This job is for the engaged and engaging, the curious and the opinionated.
Responsible for representing the company’s roster of speakers with the objective of matching talent to upcoming events being planned and organized by various corporations, associations, meeting and event planners.
Responsible for finding, securing and optimizing new opportunities for the company’s speakers through consultation with corporations, associations, meeting and event planners.
Responsible for closing sales and for cultivating and maintaining relationships with new and existing Lavin customers.
Responsible for ongoing and proactive contact with buyers to ensure all relationships are nurtured and maintained and opportunities for future speaker engagements are proactively sought and for gathering and recording event details and inputting into the contact management database.
1. Establishes new accounts to close sales to meet annual sales quotas, build productive trust relationships with customers and ensure high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent sales service.
2. Prepare action plans and schedules to identify specific targets and to project the number of contacts to be made.
3. Prospects, generates and nurtures new leads and sources new opportunities through phone and email contact with corporations, associations, educational organizations and public events looking for speakers for conferences and events to grow and maintain client database.
4. Performs on-line research (database and internet) to identify new business opportunities.
5. Meets with speakers and buyers to promote the company and develop, maintain and nurture ongoing relationships.
6. Leverages marketing initiatives to source new business and provide value to existing clients.
7. Fully qualifies potential new clients by ensuring accurate information is secured (e.g., name and contact information of decision maker, budget for speaking event, etc.).
8. Manages client expectations through supplemental inquiry and probing to ensure a complete understanding of the overall context of the event and the needs of the client (e.g., Who is in the audience? What are your challenges as an organization? Who is the best speaker you’ve ever seen and why? etc.). Guides and recommends an appropriate speaker for the event. Checks and confirms the availability of the chosen speaker.
9. Negotiates on price and expectations of the speaker at event according to the speakers’ preferences and company policies.
10. Prepares, compiles and amends event proposals, contracts, addendums and terms & conditions for speakers and clients using detail gathered through the qualification process.
11. Continues to capture as much detail as possible regarding the event which will be provided to Event Coordinators to ensure they have a very clear picture of what has been promised and negotiated with the speakers and clients.
12. Updates and inputs event details and information into the contact management database using notes and correspondence to ensure Event Coordinator and others can carry out responsibilities.
13. Ensures all logistical items are passed on to the appropriate internal resource in a timely fashion for execution and/or follow-up (Event Coordinators, Agents, Marketing, etc.).
14. Responds to all client questions and concerns immediately or as quickly as possible.
15. Introduces client through an email to the assigned Event Coordinator at the appropriate turn over point.
16. Follows up with speaker and buyer following event to ascertain whether everything went as planned or if there are possible improvements/changes required for future events.
17. Prepares a variety of status reports including activity, closings, follow-up and adherence to goals.
18. Keeps up-to-date and maintains sufficient knowledge of the company’s speakers and industry marketplace, best practices and trends.
19. Works with team to create and/or update and implement team procedures.
20. Ensures all pertinent information and details of emails, phone call notes, etc. are entered into the contact management database according to company standards.
21. Performs other tasks and responsibilities as assigned and required.
Job Qualifications & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• 1+ years of experience in a business development role or environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
• Demonstrates curiosity for a wide-range of ideas and topics
• Above average interpersonal skills
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit with unquestionable customer service skills
• Demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively with others both verbally and written
• Skilled at soliciting and securing information from potential client
• Ability to meet aggressive call quotas and deal with a high volume of work
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize the tasks at hand based on value to the company, meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment
• Software skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Strong Internet research skills
• Familiarity with database management preferred
If interested, please send us a fascinating cover letter as well as a worn-out resume. We will not consider applicants who do not send in a custom cover letter!
Send letters and resumes to careers[at]thelavinagency[dot]com. Title your emails: "Apprentice Agent". No calls or visits please; only emails will be accepted.